What is a Spend Cap?
A Spend Cap lets you limit your spend on calls, texts, data and other services not included in your monthly plan. So, you can run out of minutes, data or make premium rate calls and not have to worry about your bill.
Which Spend Cap is right for me?
I want to avoid any extra charges over and above my monthly plan.
A £0 Spend Cap will block access to all chargeable services.
This includes international calls, voting and donating using shortcodes, and paying for digital content.
I want the flexibility of using chargeable services, but also want to avoid a bill I can't afford.
You can set your Spend Cap to an amount you're comfortable with, anything between £10 and £100.
We'll block access to chargeable services as soon as your cap is reached.
I don't want my spend capped.
No problem. You can switch your Spend Cap off.
How to set a monthly Spend Cap
Choose the max you’re willing to pay on top of your plan and that’s it. You can set your cap to £0 if you want, or to anything between £10 and £100 - in £10 increments. You can also choose to switch it off completely.
It’s easy to set this up by logging onto My3 or the Three app. Here’s how:
Three app steps
- Open the Three app
- Go to the Bills tab
- Select Set a spend cap
- Log into My3
- Open the Your Account menu
- Select Allowance and price plan
- Then select Control your spending
If you have any problems setting up your Spend Cap, contact us. You can also visit your local Three store for help. We’ll send you a text straightaway to let you know your Spend Cap is live. And you can use the Three app to check how much you’ve spent anytime you want.
What’s included in a Spend Cap
- Calls, texts and data usage after you’ve used up your monthly allowance.
- Calls and texts for premium rate numbers.
- Calls for chargeable non-geographical numbers like 0845 and 0345.
- Using Three Pay to buy digital content on platforms like Google Play, App Store, Spotify, Xbox and PlayStation.
- Calls and texts to international numbers from the UK when you don’t have an Add-on.
- Calls, texts and data when you’re roaming abroad in a non-Go Roam destination.
- Calls, texts and data when you’re roaming abroad in a Go Roam destination, and you’ve exceeded our monthly fair use limits or your allowance.
What’s not included
- Recurring elements of your bill, such as your monthly plan charge, Add-ons and insurance.
- Charges relating to the management of your account. These include copies of your bill, paper bills or payment of your bill by a method other than direct debit or standing order.
Benefits of having a Spend Cap
There are loads of reasons for getting a Spend Cap. You can use it to stop your children going over the limit, or for when you’re on holiday or travelling abroad. No matter why you choose it, controlling your spend will give you more peace of mind.
Frequently asked questions
- Why is my Cap lower than the amount I asked for?
Your Spend Cap can’t be higher than your account Credit Limit. If you try setting a higher amount, we’ll adjust your Spend Cap down to match it.
For example: If the Credit Limit is £50 and you ask for a Spend Cap of £100, we’ll set your Spend Cap to £50.
Credit Limits are decided using a range of factors. Our priority is to protect customers from excessive bills that they can’t afford. If you’d like to increase your Credit Limit, you can contact us to review it.
- Is there a limit on the number of times I can change my Spend Cap?
No. You can change your Cap as often as you’d like.
- How will I know when I’ve hit my Spend Cap?
We’ll send a text notification if you’ve reached 80% of your Spend Cap. All transactions that exceed your Spend Cap will be blocked when you’ve reached 100%. You’ll receive another text notification when this happens.
- What’s the difference between a Spend Cap and Spend Limit?
A Spend Cap gives you control over your monthly spend for all transaction types.
The Spend Limit is a set limit on transactions for third-party digital services, and premium rate calls and messages. The limits are:
- £40 per single transaction
- £240 total charges per month
The Spend Limit is a legal requirement under the Payment Services Regulation. It can’t be removed or changed.
We’ll send a text notification if you’ve reached 80% of your monthly Spend Limit. Any transactions that exceed the Spend Limits will be blocked.
- What’s the difference between a Spend Cap and Data Roaming Limit?
A Spend Cap gives you control over your monthly spend for all transaction types - including roaming.
The Data Roaming Limit protects you from excessive data charges while roaming. If you’ve never asked us to change it, your Data Roaming Limit will be £45.
Most customers avoid data roaming charges by:
- Using their data allowance when visiting a Go Roam destination. Fair usage policies apply – see Go Roam for more information.
- Purchasing a Data Roaming Pass
- Setting a Spend Cap - for example: If your Data Roaming Limit is £45 and your Spend Cap £10, you won’t be able to spend more than £10.
Need a higher or lower Data Roaming Limit? See Managing Roaming Costs.