How to buy the Data Passport.
Not sure what Data Passport is? Check out About the Data Passport.
Using Data Passport in the UK.
Data Passport can be used within the UK. If you’d like to purchase a Data Passport, just go to mobile.three.co.uk/datapassport on your phone’s browser and follow the instructions.
Using Data Passport abroad.
If you’re already in an eligible destination and you’d like to purchase a Data Passport, you can do so just like you would in the UK, by visiting mobile.three.co.uk/datapassport on your phone’s browser and following the instructions.
Alternatively, when you arrive in an eligible destination, we’ll text you a link which you can follow to buy the Data Passport. To activate it, follow these instructions:
- Turn off your push notifications (they’re the things that tell you stuff like when you’ve got an email, when it’s your turn in a game or when someone’s tagged a pic of you). This is to avoid potential roaming charges while you’re setting up the Data Passport. The set-up differs from phone to phone, so make sure you’ve worked out how to do it before you go away.
- Make sure data roaming is enabled.
- Click on the link in the text we send you when you arrive in any of the 89 worldwide destinations where you can choose to buy this pass. The Data Passport allows you to use your device as a Personal Hotspot, stream video or audio at unrestricted speeds, and more in 89 worldwide destinations. To find out more about the Data Passport, check out About the Data Passport.
- Follow the simple steps to buy the Data Passport and then you can tweet, upload, browse, email, tether, and stream audio and video at no extra charge, until midnight that day (UK time).
If you’re having trouble buying the Data Passport, you can contact us and we’ll be happy to help. If calling from abroad, the call will be charged at our standard roaming rates unless you’re calling from one of our Go Roam destinations in which case it will come out of your standard allowance.
- What if I choose not to get a Data Passport?
You don’t need to buy a Data Passport to take advantage of our great roaming propositions.
All of our customers can enjoy Go Roam in Europe, including data usage, calls and texts back to the UK and between our Go Roam in Europe destinations at no extra cost. If you’re on an Essential Plan, you’ll also pay standard roaming charges in Go Roam Around the World destinations.
If you’re on an Advanced Plan, you can also get online using your standard data allowance, and can also call and text the UK in a number of additional Go Roam Around the World destinations at no extra cost – the Data Passport is available in all of these if you’d prefer to use this to get online though. Find out more on our about Go Roam support page or on our main Go Roam page.
If you haven’t got a Data Passport, you may run out of data, and while you'll be able to stream and connect to Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) in Go Roam destinations, your experience will be slower than in the UK. You also can't use your phone as a personal hotspot (tethering) while you're abroad without a Data Passport.
If you're roaming in a destination where Go Roam doesn’t apply (or isn’t included as part of your plan) and the Data Passport is available, our standard roaming rates (which can be up to £6 per megabyte) will apply if you don’t purchase a Data Passport.
Find out where you can use the Data Passport.
- The Data Passport website (mobile.three.co.uk/datapassport) is free to access, but if you go to any other website or turn on apps or notifications that use data before buying this pass abroad, this will come out of your data allowance if in a destination with Go Roam or you’ll be charged at our standard roaming rate (we’ll text you this on arrival in that destination).
- If you've downloaded a data saving app like Onavo Extend, you may not be able to access the page to buy the Data Passport. If you want to use the Data Passport, you should delete any data saving apps and reset your phone's internet settings.