With iMessage you can send texts, photos, videos, locations and contacts to other iPhones and iPads.
To use iMessage, you'll need to be running iOS 5 or above. Here's how to find out your software version.
To activate iMessage on your iPhone:
- On the homescreen, tap Settings
- Tap Messages
- Turn iMessage ON
- You can use your Apple ID or your mobile number to send and receive iMessages. If you want to use your Apple ID, tap Use your Apple ID for iMessage and sign in. If you don't have one, you can create one by tapping Create an Apple ID
You can now use iMessage.
To choose whether to send iMessages from your mobile number or Apple ID:
- In Messages, tap Receive At
- Tap Caller ID
- Choose either your mobile number or your Apple ID to send your iMessages from
iMessages will show in Messages but the colour of the Send button will change depending on whether you're sending an iMessage or a text message:
- if you're sending an iMessage, the send button will be blue:
- if you're sending a text message, the send button will be green: